This is my first post in quite a while, and my website looks fairly different, so I shall enumerate the many changes. And yes, there have been many changes.
First, and most noticeably, I’ve deleted at least 50% of the content on this site, which wasn’t really content anyway. I’ve also cleaned and tidied up the styles, so it looks a tad cleaner, and rebuilt the blog to be more like a blog.
In the process of doing so, I’ve also cleaned up the site’s repository significantly, and it’s nearly at the stage where I could conceivably open source it. That’s been one of my long-term thoughts about the site: to open up the codebase for interested Jekyll users to see how I do it.
To be fair, though, I don’t do anything in an especially wonderful way. By my estimation, there are dozens of improvements I can make to the site: the build system, for instance, uses a mess of horrifying magic to build styles that would be totally unnecessary if I were using Compass. The nest of badly interwoven build tools scares me.
My current challenge is to extract content from Day One, again. I’ll pull apart the
unbeldi codebase and see what I can do with it; I’ll certainly need to give every one of the long-form posts a title. In fact, it occurs to me that the
unbeldi codebase is exactly the place to begin, and thus that is what I am currently doing.
And that, too, is the direction I’m trying to take my diary/blog in: a proper blog, which is essentially my collection of long-form entries, which I mark in Day One with a star.